Followers

Thursday, October 19, 2006

More Sony Wisdom

Next-Gen has an interview with yet another baffling Sony suit.

Regarding the PS3's online strategy:
"What we don’t do however is have a brand name for the network service, you know, like PlayStation Online or PlayStation Live, and this is because we don’t see a 'PlayStation offline'.
What I’m trying to say is that it doesn't matter if you are enjoying content from a Blu-ray disc or you are enjoying content you just downloaded from the network, at the end of the day it’s all PlayStation 3 so we don’t differentiate between content, and I think that makes a clear point between us and some of our competitors, who like to differentiate how the consumers get the content, that’s the difference in the strategy or the basic philosophy towards the online service."

Brilliant, absolutely brilliant PR bullshit. In the words of my local rapping pals: "Break it down!"

1. "We Don't See A 'Playstation offline.'"
This is Sony trying to sound hip, man. The PS3 is never "offline," dude.
CONSUMER: What about games that don't have online content? Aren't they offline?
SONY: Who let him in here? Seize him!!! I mean...help him out...dude.

2. "It doesn't matter if you are enjoying content from a Blu-ray disc or you are enjoying..."
...a wonderful bowel movement.
Seriously, Sony can't say Blu-ray enough. They'll slip it into any conversation even when it doesn't really fit. They are so desperate for this media format to be accepted by the mainstream., because they're practically hinging the entire company's success on it. They're forgetting that they defeated the Betamax with the VHS buy supplying consumers with a much more affordable (albeit shabby) product. With Blu-ray they're trying to get us to buy into a much more expensive (albeit shabby) product.

3. "I think that makes a clear point between us and some of our competitors..."
You know who we mean. *awkward wink*

4. "That’s the difference in the strategy or the basic philosophy towards the online service."
It's finally clear to me now. Sony's master philosophy is that they offer content the same way as everyone else, but they don't have a name for it.
That's on par with the philosophy of any pothead I've ever met at a party.
That's not a philosophy, Sony. This is.

4 comments:

Zhubin said...

I fucked up, Scott. I apparently missed out on the pre-order.

I fucked up big time, man.

Sharkbear said...

Yeah, you did.
Or did you?

You should still be able to get one without too much trouble. I actually haven't pre-ordered the system yet. But there should be plenty available between its release and the end of the year (about 4 million units, actually).
A lot of the stores that sold out of their pre-orders might have more around release if they find out they'll be receiving more systems.
Or you can always wait in line at Walmart at midnight. That's what I'll probably end up doing.

Zhubin said...

No, Scott, you don't understand. I killed a guy. The GameStop employee, when he told me the pre-order was over. I was just so angry, I didn't know what I was doing.

I fucked up, man. I fucked up bad. I need you to get me out of this, man. I'm in serious shit, man.

Sharkbear said...

Don't worry. We'll solve your problem with a little can-do attitude and a sprinkle of magic.
Follow meeeeeee!