Followers

Wednesday, October 18, 2006

Football Siison

The title of this post is probably my biggest stretch yet, and I'm sure if I knew anything substantial about football I could have come up with something better. Perhaps you have some suggestions.

Anyway, I'm posting a video of Madden '07 for the Wii because I recently chatted online with Graham about Nintendo's new system. The impression I got was that most of his information about the system had come from my blog which, while a good place to start, only scratches the surface. And it only covers areas of self interest for me. While I hope the information is at least entertaining or informational, I understand that there are aspects of video gaming that I pretty much ignore. For the purposes of this post I'm referring to sports games. I could usually care less about sports games, with a few exceptions like NBA Street, which is more arcadey and less, um, sportsy.
Here's part of our private conversation which I'm now posting without his permission:

GRAHAM: the ps3 is slated for Nov 11
SCOTT: 17
GRAHAM: 17?... anywho... i am not excited about paying $600 for it but I probably will anyway
SCOTT: there's no way I'm paying that much for a system
SCOTT: Sony's going downhill
SCOTT: there will probably be good games for it
SCOTT: but I've heard a lot of bad stuff
GRAHAM: from everything i read that is what it sounds like but at the same time i want to play games like college football and splinter cell and the Wii isn't offereing that
SCOTT: yes it is
SCOTT: Splinter Cell is one of the launch games for Wii
GRAHAM: The Wii will have EA Sports college football, Call of Duty 3 and Splinter Cell?
SCOTT: Call of Duty and Splinter Cell for certain
SCOTT: I don't know about college sports, but EA is apparently making about 8 games for the system
GRAHAM: I thought EA Sports games were only on PS and Xbox
SCOTT: Madden is a launch game
GRAHAM: interesting....

In the words of Chappelle to Oprah: "Gotcha bitch!"
Seriously though, check out my awesome subtle jabs against the PS3: "Sony is going downhill," and "I've heard a lot of bad stuff." This is the kind of eloquence IM breeds. And by "going downhill" I meant as a company in general, and not that the PS3 was "going down." I'm not so deluded as to think the PS3 won't make tons of money (hell, even if they sell one it's a small fortune. Zing!), and be successful at least on some level. But I don't think that what they are doing is right for the video game industry as a whole, in the long run.
I'm still not able to address whether or not College Football will be on the Wii, but with the care and effort EA has put into Madden I would be surprised if the other big franchises didn't pop up as well. Probably not until the next incarnation, however.

The whole point I'm trying to get to is that in my fervor to enlist Graham into Nintendo's Armii (now, that's the worst one yet) I ended up becoming very interested in Madden '07. Everyone who's already into these types of games has been raving about this one. Everbody says it's amazing, particularly the Superstar mode, which I've heard more about than I ever really wanted to. But the Wii version just seems like it would be hellafun to play.
So here's the video:

The controls appear to be very immersive. Just check out the part where the player raises the Wii-mote before the snap, causing one of the on-screen characters to raise his arms to incite the crowd. It's little details like this that seem to add a lot to the game. When you're the quarterback you pass the ball by flipping the controller forward in a passing motion. As you can see in the video you don't have to swing it overhead like an actual pass, but still the control is intuitive. A similarly logical motion is made for kicking. This article mentions how you can signal a fair catch merely by waving the controller. This game actually sounds fun to play, as opposed to the tedium I tend to find in conventional sports games. I still wouldn't care about all the micromanaging that usually goes on in these types of games, but I'd sure as hell be more inclined to play the game. Especially if a certain friend decides to buy the system after all, and has me over for some multiplayer action (hint, hint).

Of course, the very first sign that sports games would be a blast on the Wii was Nintendo's own Wii Sports. Much more simplistic in design, but a lot of fun to play by all accounts. I'm actually excited to get my hands on it. Fortunately it's a pack-in with the system. If Nintendo can make someone like me excited about sports games then I'd say their overall philosophy for the system is sound. That is, trying to get non-gamers to play the system. While I'm already a gamer, I'm a very specific type of gamer. And the Wii makes me consider expanding my type to include new types of games.

Addendum:
The original video that got me interested in the game has finally been Tubed:

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Even with the brass ring of the Virtual Console to consider, I was all set to refrain from purchase. The previews of this game alone have flipped my switch from "hold" to "search and consume". FOOBAW!!

Anonymous said...

Also, I would have gone with "Down, Set, Hiike", but you know how I feel about punnery.

Sharkbear said...

Yes, but I only pronounce the double-i as "ee", so Hiike would be pronounced as a very Japanese-sounding hee-kay.
But since you're not really into puns I'll let it slide.
Glad to hear you're buying a Wii though. Maybe I'll see you on the iinternets.
Damn.