Followers

Wednesday, October 01, 2008

Shuffleupagus

I got bored with the First And Ten entries (especially the name), so here is the same idea pared down and freshly named, Shuffleupagus. Or Shuffy for short.

1. They Might Be Giants - "Vestibule", Cast Your Pod To The Wind

Cast Your Pod was a great bonus disc included with TMBG's latest album, The Else. It is a collection of various B-Sides created for - or featured exclusively in - their podcast. "Vestibule" was in podcast 21A. The video is not of the same recording, but it does feature musical robots!

2. U2 - "Sweetest Thing", The Best Of 1980-1990

The nicest thing about this popping up in the shuffle is that somehow I've never seen this video before. I like it, but Bono's silent mugging performance is weird even for Bono. These were the end of U2's glory days.

3. The Seatbelts/Yoko Kanno - "MUSAWE", Cowboy Bebop OST 5 - Future Blues

Cowboy Bebop will always hold a special place in my heart. It's the first anime series I absolutely fell in love with. It also spawned an incredible collection of music by composer Yoko Kanno. This album features music from the Cowboy Bebop movie. This particular song isn't one of my favorites, but it is a good example of the series' fusion of world sounds.

4. Ween - "Moving Away", The Pod

Burned this from a friend. I appreciate the oddness of the album, but I haven't listened to it all that much. I liked it enough to hold on to it for this long, I suppose. I don't have feelings for the band one way or another. It's just one of those odd bits that pops up from time to time.

5. Kenna - "Sunday After You", New Sacred Cow

I like this album a lot. "Hell Bent" is one of those songs that I could listen to a million times. "Sunday After You" is one of the album's more upbeat songs, but it still has that spacey, late-night-in-the-city vibe. This video is, surprisingly, the best version of the song on YouTube. The drums are overbearing, but you can get the gist of the song if you're not already familiar with it.

No comments: