Followers

Thursday, September 28, 2006

Wii Launch Titles I'm Gunning For

I've mentioned some of the games I'm interested in yet reserved about. I did so knowing that I would later make the list of games that I'm really excited about...

This is that list. (Ooh, that was dramatic!)
In no particular order:

1. Red Steel

This is probably the most anticipated Wii title there is (outside of Zelda). That's probably because it's developed by Ubisoft, one of the best third party developers there is. Also, because it's a Wii exclusive, whereas most other third party launch games are multi-platform. This could end up being the model for how to make a great FPS on the Wii, just as Goldeneye was for the N64 (although not nearly as revolutionary, for obvious reasons).
I know the screenshot doesn't show any action. But it's damn purty.

2. Trauma Center: Second Opinion

Another Wii exclusive. The DS version of this got outstanding reviews and has already reached a kind of cult status. I never got to play it, so I'm excited about this Wii-make (not my term), which features improved graphics and extra features.

3. Super Mario Galasy

Okay, it's technically not a launch title. Which is unfortunate because from what I understand this game is extremely intuitive and a complete blast to play. It seems like the perfect game for people to "get" the Wii. That is, it's the game that will bring more people into the fold. Instead, Nintendo's relying on Zelda (a game that was never originally intended for the Wii) to do that. Fine. Whatever. I want to play this game. Now.

4. Rayman: Raving Rabbids

Another (presumed) exclusive from Ubisoft. Rayman for the N64 was one of my favorite platformers ever. The graphics were unique and beautiful, the controls were perfect, and it was hilarious. This one looks like it will be a very good successor. I'm a little wary that it strays from the platform genre in favor of story-driven mini games, but everything else sounds so promising.

5. Metroid Prime Corruption

I didn't even realize this was a launch title until I started making this list. Like Red Steel, this is sure to display how well suited the Wii is for the FPS genre. I loved the Metroid Prime series on the Gamecube, and I'm very excited about this one. It looks like they're going to town on the story, creating a deeper world. At least, that's what I assumed from the preview I watched.

6. Metal Slug Anthology

Metal Slug is one of my absolute favorite arcade series. They're releasing all of them on one disc for the Wii. I want.

7. Virtual Console

Click the link above and just revel in the sexiness of that list. Damn that is some damn fine sexiness.

8. Splinter Cell Double Agent

If you've played a Splinter Cell game then you already know how awesome it is to have one as a launch game. It's yet another game from Ubisoft (and I haven't even mentioned all of their Wii games). It will be good, and that's all there is to it. Ubisoft's strong support is good news for future Wii owners. Not only are they one of the best companies around, but their presence (in addition to powerhouses like EA) will help to inspire other companies to develop for Wii. It truly looks like the game shortages that plagued Gamecube may be a thing of the past.

9. The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess

This is really an oft-delayed Gamecube game, that resembles its own hero in a lot of ways. Originally meant for one purpose, it was swept away and held in secret, trained in the magic arts, to later be released upon the world as the Chosen One. This is the Zelda game of legend, with the potential to be the greatest one in the series so far. The cell shading is gone, replaced with a style reminiscent of Ocarina of Time, which sits at the top of most Zelda fans' lists (mine's actually A Link To The Past). I liked the cell shading of Wind Waker, and got tired of everyone bitching about it. Well, there's no bitching room here. This game will be worth the wait. Zelda games always are, and they're always long in coming. If you plan on buying a Wii but don't plan to buy this game I shake my head. I shake my head and I wonder why.

2 comments:

Zhubin said...

"Goldeneye for the Gamecube"?

You've lost it, man.

Sharkbear said...

Damn. I don't know how I let that slip, except that I often do these rant blogs when I'm very tired.
I've fixed the typo.
And thanks for contributing to the conversation only to point out my flaws.