Followers

Thursday, September 25, 2008

Elegy

I ended up going to see this with a movie group, which is nice because I'm not sure it's something I would have gone to see on my own. It was kind of jarring to see a dramatic film like this after a summer of giant blockbusters and light comedies. But I guess this is the beginning of Fall when the serious Oscar movies start to come out and play.



Elegy is a wonderfully written drama starring Ben Kingsley and Penelope Cruz. It's about a sweet romance between a college professor and his much younger student. It takes some surprisingly funny turns before veering straight into Serious Drama.

There are great supporting performances from Peter Sarsgaard, Dennis Hopper, and Patricia Clarkson (possibly the most gorgeous woman of her generation in the biz) as well.

I don't really have much to say except that it is definitely worth your time. The script, acting, direction, soundtrack, and cinematography are all top notch. I'm glad I saw it.

No comments: