Followers

Saturday, July 19, 2008

Moore On Watchmen

The author of Watchmen weighed in on the movie in a recent Entertainment Weekly interview. His response is not surprising:

ENTERTAINMENT WEEKLY: Don't you have the slightest curiosity about what Watchmen director Zack Snyder is doing with your work?
ALAN MOORE: I would rather not know.

He's supposed to be a very nice guy.
He may very well be, but the thing is that he's also the person who made 300. I've not seen any recent comic book films, but I didn't particularly like the book 300. I had a lot of problems with it, and everything I heard or saw about the film tended to increase [those problems] rather than reduce them: [that] it was racist, it was homophobic, and above all it was sublimely stupid. I know that that's not what people going in to see a film like 300 are thinking about but...I wasn't impressed with that.... I talked to [director] Terry Gilliam in the '80s, and he asked me how I would make Watchmen into a film. I said, ''Well actually, Terry, if anybody asked me, I would have said, 'I wouldn't.''' And I think that Terry [who aborted his attempted adaptation of the book] eventually came to agree with me. There are things that we did with Watchmen that could only work in a comic, and were indeed designed to show off things that other media can't.


Here's the full interview.

4 comments:

Joe said...

Sounds about right.

Anonymous said...

Alan Moore not happy with a film version of his work? Shocking...I am shocked.

Bobak said...

Have you seen The Dark Knight yet? Write about it so we can read what a nerd thinks of it.

But seriously, what a movie. Heath Ledger absolutely stole the show. I haven't really seen his other films, but I'm compelled to watch them just because of his Joker.

Sharkbear said...

I finally saw The Dark Knight last night. I'll be writing the review soon.

I wasn't impressed with Heath Ledger until Brokeback Mountain. Damn, he was good in that movie. Between that and his performance as the Joker, it was just the start of what would have been an incredible career. I miss him.