Followers

Tuesday, May 22, 2007

The Golden Compass

I haven't read the book, but this looks very intriguing:


And if the rumors I've heard about this series' overarching plot are true, consider me super-double intrigued.

I have a few concerns about the trailer (unnecessary, shameless callback to LoTR, aside). First, of course, is Nicole Kidman. I'm immediately wary of any movie she's in. She has a tendency, in my opinion, to detract from otherwise excellent movies simply by being in them (Cold Mountain and Moulin Rouge come to mind). Add to that the fact she appears to be playing a villain...well, part of me already wants to punch her when she's playing the heroine. How will it be when she's actively trying to make me dislike her?
The other mild concern is the mish-mash of the movie's world itself. You apparently have an alternate past(future?) Earth, complete with pimped-out zeppelins. Then you've got talking animals, shape-shifting animals, cowboys and prophetic witches. Add to this the promise of an "alternate universe" and it leaves you gasping, "wait, there's more?" Unless that alternate universe turns out to be our world, in which case: *yawn*.
But that cowboy is played by Sam Elliott, and the talking animal is an armor plated polar bear. So it can't be all bad.

Have any of you read the book? I seem to remember Christopher mentioning it.
What are your thoughts?

No comments: