Followers

Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Unnecessary Remakes

The Weinsteins are doing a remake of Kurosawa's Seven Samurai.
If you haven't seen Seven Samurai do so immediately. It is one of my favorite movies, and I consider it a "perfect movie", a movie that I can find no fault in whatsoever. But that's not surprising considering Kurosawa's perfectionism.
I don't see the point in remaking this movie unless they are going in some completely new direction (sci-fi/fantasy perhaps?). I consider this on the same level as remaking Citizen Kane or Casablanca. There is no reason for it.

I can understand remaking a flawed or unknown movie. Ocean's Eleven is an example of a so-so movie getting made into something much better. The Departed is an example of a good foreign film getting made into an equally good (perhaps superior) movie for a different culture. Those remakes both work very successfully.

I Am Legend was probably ripe for a remake. Unfortunately it's also an example of a remake that gets it more wrong than the original. Although I Am Legend shares its title with its source material, it is actually much farther removed from the original story than the seventies film version, The Omega Man. It's a completely missed opportunity. (Also, the special effects sucked, but that's a completely different topic.)

I just can't picture a Samurai remake that could improve on the original in any way. Especially since the cast is going to contain American and European stars, in addition to Asian. Hwuh? Whatever.

No comments: