Followers

Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Movie Night 11

This is a bit late. Sue me.


1. The Big Empty -
Hey, guess what? It's another Wholphin short! This one from volume 1.
The Big Empty is based on a short fiction piece that originally appeared in a McSweeney's quarterly. I haven't read it, but I'd love to based on this film.
It's about a young woman whose vagina is a passage to an endless frozen tundra.



2. Black Snake Moan (2007) -
I love this movie for a number of reasons. First of all, I've had a crush on Christina Ricci since Addams Family Values (what? I was a weird kid). That being said, not only does she bear herself emotionally, but physically as well. Yeah, fellas!
Also, Samuel L. Jackson gives another great performance heavy with righteous fury. But he also shows a vulnerable side he rarely gets to in his roles. So there's more depth from him than I've seen in a lot of his other work.
And the soundtrack is fantastic. Sam Jackson learned to play guitar, and sings the songs himself in this, and it sounds great.
The story, if you don't know, is about a black man in Memphis who finds a young white girl beat up on the side of the road. He takes her home to nurse her back to health only to discover that she is a seriously disturbed nympho. The man decides that, in order to get right with God, he will help cure her of her sinful ways. His method for doing this involves chaining her to the radiator in his home.
The plot is out there. It's like a B movie premise with A-list talent. And it only works because writer/director, Craig Brewer, has the sensitivity and talent to balance the absurd situation with very genuine feeling.
This, more than anything, makes me want to see Hustle & Flow, which was also by Brewer. I heard it was good, but never got around to it. Now I'll definitely see it.

No comments: