Followers

Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Legendary


So, The Legend Of Zelda turned 25 this week. When the original game came out in that beautiful shiny cartridge, it was pretty much the most epic thing I'd seen up to that point in my life. I was six years old, so that's not really hyperbole. The open world was unlike anything we had played before. We became obsessed with the land of Hyrule (Was it called Hyrule back then? I'm not sure.) and the strange idiosyncratic characters that inhabited it.

I also remember being completely despondent when the cartridge refused to work one day. No amount of blowing on it or tapping on the NES would revive it. Our grandparents saved the day by buying us another copy. And then the first one started working randomly some days later. Score!

Twenty-five years later, and I have yet to defeat Ganondorf in Link's first outing. Yet I still start up the game from time to time just to explore that world.

Now check out this awesome painting someone did.

No comments: